Christmas is over, so who's ready to pop the cork on a bottle (or two) of bubbly later this week? Me! To get the best out of that bottle, here are a few tips on where to buy, what to serve and how to mix so you can uncork your new year right. The only thing left will be to pop n' pour!
- CALCULATE: A (750 ml) bottle of bubbly will pour approximately six glasses. You should plan on one and a half to two glasses per person, per hour. For a toast— one glass per person usually suffices.
- BUY: It’s best to buy wines in stores with a high turnover. Bottles could be on retailers’ shelves for months and could get overheated.
- BRING: Bringing a bottle of bubbly is a wonderful way to say thank you to your host if you are a guest. Stick it in a festive bag and you’re ready to roll!
- CHILL: It’s recommended to chill your bubbly well — either in a refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours or in an ice bucket for about 30 minutes. For a quick fix you can cool it in the freezer for 30 minutes as well.
- SERVE: The recommended glass for sparkling wine is the flute. The flute is tall and elongated, and perfect for young wines.
- POUR: A glass of bubbly should never be poured more than half full. This insures that it does not get too warm sitting in your glass and the head space gives you room to appreciate it.
Check back tomorrow for our top budget bubblies to ring in the new year right!