November 3, 2009

Halloween's Over?

Besides all the delicious libations I stirred up during "Cocktail Week" (including Caramel Pumpkin Cheesecake shots, which earned me bragging rights at work during our annual interoffice cocktail competition), you knew it was inevitable that I would spend my "All Hallow's Eve" uncorking my festivities. So, what was worthy of this Queen of Hearts?

Cinnabar's 2006 Mercury Rising! The fine folks at Cinnabar out in Saratoga, CA sent me some bottles to try out and review, and up until this point I've only had the opportunity to indulge in their Cabernet (which was also pretty fantastic!) Although I admit I should have prepared for such a full-bodied wine by accompanying it with a big juicy steak, or even some intensly flavored cheeses, I decided to decant and dive right in.

This Bordeaux-style blend is made from a combination of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Petite Verdot grapes. It's very plush and offers an intense complexity. It opens with a nose of dark fruits and toasted oak (aged in French, American & Hungarian oak barrels for 19 months), but also blends with some earthy attributes, like herbs. The tannins were smooth for being such a full wine, and they helped support the dense fruit, tobacco and spice flavors that came through on the palate. I must say, this $20 wine tastes like its worth hundreds - invest now!

Where to Buy: CinnabarWine.com
Cost: $20

0 comments: