August 31, 2009

Best of Labor Day: Fortant '06 Chardonnay

With the coming of Labor Day comes the imminent change of season. For me, my summer wine menu is consistently chock-full of light, crisp, aromatic wines that boast some of the season's freshest fruits. So before heading into the colder months (where oaky reds are likely going to be my refuge) there's one elegantly structured white wine worth recommending which will help you reminisce of your days of fun in the sun.

Fortant, owned by the Robert Skalli family, is a pioneer of Southern French wines. Now, typically I'm not a Chardonnay fan (you know I'm a sucker for a Sauvignon Blanc!), however, their 2006 Chardonnay worth a mention. Not only is it brillantly structured with subtle aromas of pears and roasted hazelnuts, but its light yellow-gold straw color mimics the sun on an beautiful New York City day. The mouth is smoothly creamy with a pleasant viscosity and notes of vanilla and fig. If you're looking for an inexpensive wine with great expression, this one's your bet.

Cost: $6.99/bottle (move over Franzia!)
Pairing Suggestion: Great with seafood, particularly shellfish

2 comments:

LesleyKeffer said...

Your poetic description makes me want to drink wine at 10am...

WinoBee said...

Welcome to my life everyday! :) Definitely a must try and for $6.99, you don't feel so guilty if its not your style. I think you'll be honestly surprised though.