October 13, 2009

Tasting Note Tuesday - My favorite winery for the end of the season

For the few of you who know my true identity, you know I have another passion besides wine. Another passion you ask? Cooking? OK, so when I'm not cooking and drinking wine, I enjoy competing in triathlons. For various reasons, this season was more difficult than any in the past.

So after my last race, what did I do? I grabbed a bottle of wine from my favorite winery of all time... Lewelling Vineyards and grilled up an enormous ribeye. Lewelling Vineyards is located in Napa Valley. The first vineyards were planted in 1864 by John Lewelling, and 150 years later, the family still runs the winery (almost unheard of in Napa).
Currently, Dave and Doug Wight run the winery and Haley Wight is the winemaker.

When I visited Napa a few years back, I was lucky enough to experience the hospitality of the Wights... which they graciously offer to anyone who would like to visit their vineyards. But not only are the people behind the wine wonderful, so are the wines themselves. For me, it's the pinnacle of wine... excellent wine... excellent people behind the wine. If you find a bottle, do yourself a HUGE favor and pick it up. If you get a chance to visit Napa, make sure Lewelling is on your list of wineries to visit. I guarantee Lewelling will become your favorite winery too.

2004 Lewelling Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena

Purchased for $40 off the mailing list. Opaque... almost black in color. Oh what a wine. I say it every time, but I love Lewelling. Wonderful rich nose of blackberry and blueberry, with hints of oak and vanilla. I could just sit and smell the wine for hours. On the palate, it is definitely young as the tannins make my mouth pucker. But it tastes delicious. Black cherry, chocolate, plum and oak. The dark fruits are really lush and coat your mouth. I really think they have the perfect balance of oak and fruit here (at least for me). The finish lingers for minutes. Every sip left me wanting more. For me, I'm not sure it gets much better. Youthful fruit, oak in balance. This is everything I love in a wine.

My Take: Outstanding

0 comments: