June 9, 2011

Bellini Week: The Clarabelle

Meet Clara...
Clara, Clara, Clara - where does one begin with Clara? Oh, I know... about 9 years ago and embarking on my first days as a collegiate. That's right, Clara was my "randomly assigned" dorm-mate in the halls roaming West Ambler Johnston at Virginia Tech (RIP Henry, our pet fish). Unlike most of my friends who had traumatic roommate stories, I lucked out, cuz' seven years after we first met, we became roommates once again... this time in the city that never sleeps! Sometimes we joke that I'll live in her guesthouse when we're old, gray and I'm a spinster. But we'll live in the now... for now... which means its Bellini time!

Inspiration
  • When I think "Clara," I immediately picture popped collars and Polo shirts (c'mon, we weren't all born to love hoodrat music and have "honky tonk" boyfriends - see photo above for proof) Fact is, she's a traditionalist, so she needed a cocktail that evoked those same simple, tasteful characteristics.
  • When we have roommate dinners, I literally have to hide veggies in her meal, and then lie about it when she asks me. She's like my own personal 4-year-old, so naturally I had to include things I knew she would never eat. I probably even lied when she asked me the ingredients as I was making it. Guess you know the truth now -- oops, sorry C!

Ingredients
  • 1 half mango
  • 1 half peeled cucumber (remove seeds)
  • Mint leaves, muddled to taste
  • Mionetto Prosecco (or other sparkling white wine)
Preparation
Pure mango, cucumber and mint leaves using a food processor. Add mixture 1/4 of the way up your champagne flute. Top with prosecco and garnish with additional mint. For strong flavor, add diced cucumber following.

0 comments: