May 15, 2009

Huber (Hugo) Gruner Veltliner 2007

I had the opportunity to serve (and sip) last night with @TishWine and a few others for an event hosted at a law firm here in NYC. It was a progressive tasting beginning with me, well not really me, but the light, crisp, perfect-for-summer wines I was tasting.

Among the options were a dry rose, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, and this... Hugo Gruner Veltliner - a pure tasting Austrian wine. Yes, I said Austria (not Australia). Who knew they even made wines, let alone wines that could be so delicious? Fact of the matter is that although you may have never even heard of it, Gruner is the widest grown grape in Austria and the Czech Republic and is intended to be drank relativley young.

This Gruner tasted like it was infused with pear, apple and citrus. But it also offered a slight mineral feel with some peppery notes which gave it a great balance. Definitley a food-friendly choice and refreshing as we lead into the summer months ahead. Drink now (like I would) through 2011.
Where To Buy: Union Square Wines
Cost: $12/bottle
Rating: EXCELLENT
Suggested Pairing: Lemon Riccotta Crostini w/ Mint

0 comments: