November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving Wines: St. Supery Barrel Fermented Chardonnay

In reading back through prior "Thanksgiving Wines" posts, I noticed that I've moderatley favored red wines. And to be honest, its likely because I'm more of a red wine drinker as the weather shifts from warm to cool. Afterall, nothing compliments the Fall and Winter months quite like a fuller bodied wine with hints of spice. But that doesn't mean we can't discover white wines with the same attributes. In fact, there are many white wines out their with the same complexity, that are comparably approachable. So, let's pay some omage to our dear white wines this Turkey Day, too!

Nothing brings in Autumn quite like St. Supery's Barrel Fermented Chardonnay. Normally I'm not a Chardonnay drinker, I'll admit, but having the opportunity to visit St. Supery back in September, I exposed my pallette to varietals I might not otherwise purchase on my own and was surprisingly pleased with the outcome, particularly on this Chardonnay.

Sustainably farmed (we love anything that helps the enviornment!), this wine bodes aromas of toast and cantaloupe on the nose, with flavors that are reminiscent of baked apple pie (a Turkey Day must), ripe pears and some hints of Earth. It offers a light texture that is balanced with spice. It's like Autumn in a glass! Oh, if you don't like oak hints, they also have Oak-Free Chardonnay!

Cost: $30/bottle
Where to Buy: StSupery.com

0 comments: